Splunk Enterprise Security

Using Umlauts in the Correlation Search Name breaks the Correlation Search edit view

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Using ESS 3.1.1 on Splunk 6.1.4, I can create a correlation search with an Umlaut in its name, such as "my cörrelation search". Saving it works fine, and it'll execute according to its schedule, generating notable events and emails and whatnot. Hence Splunk itself can handle Umlauts in search IDs well.

However, I cannot open the correlation search editor for this after the initial save. In the JS Console I get a 500 error from https://splunk-host:8000/de-DE/custom/SA-ThreatIntelligence/correlation_searches/get_search?output_m..., opening that in my browser is showing KeyError: u'\xf6', the hex code for ö.

It'd be nice to either enable this Python script to work with Umlauts and similar non-standard characters, or at least to have the Correlation Search editor stop the user from creating such a Correlation Search in the first place.

0 Karma
1 Solution

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unfortunately, ES is not totally i18n or l10n compliant, and so this is a known issue. The workaround is to "not use them" in the interim, but you should also file an enhancement request (aka support case with priority level 4) and ask to have this added in, with bonus points for documenting your pains, if you would like this support added in the future. You can reference SOLNESS-6641. (Of course, in the case of your particular issue, I am sure based on the timing that you've already done that... so now you can just advocate for your germanic brethren to rise up and demand the ability to fully express themselves in correlation search names.)

View solution in original post

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unfortunately, ES is not totally i18n or l10n compliant, and so this is a known issue. The workaround is to "not use them" in the interim, but you should also file an enhancement request (aka support case with priority level 4) and ask to have this added in, with bonus points for documenting your pains, if you would like this support added in the future. You can reference SOLNESS-6641. (Of course, in the case of your particular issue, I am sure based on the timing that you've already done that... so now you can just advocate for your germanic brethren to rise up and demand the ability to fully express themselves in correlation search names.)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...