Splunk Enterprise Security

Unable to rename app - Splunk Add On Builder

vr2312
Contributor

After building a project/add-on based on the Standard naming convention of Splunk, i am facing the issue where i have to remove the prefix set by the app.

Renaming it via the add on builder fails and renaming it outside of the app breaks the whole app as it runs based on complex scripts within.

Any guidance will be hepful

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vr2312
Contributor

Yes, that was all done and it failed. There were more than just files that needed to be renamed and the linkages created the app resulted in the app breaking down after the rename. Sadly with the current version of the App Builder that is in, there are only two workarounds that can be implemented : 

1. Download the older version of the add-on builder, rename the app, export the app and import it after installing the new version of the add-on builder. 

2. Rebuild the app from scratch.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@vr2312  - Assuming, you created an add-on, say, "TA-org-alert",  within that directory, that name will be referred in a number of python files and .conf files (e.g. app.conf).  If you want to change the name, rename in all the places, remove the .pyc files and restart splunk.

0 Karma

vr2312
Contributor

Yes, that was all done and it failed. There were more than just files that needed to be renamed and the linkages created the app resulted in the app breaking down after the rename. Sadly with the current version of the App Builder that is in, there are only two workarounds that can be implemented : 

1. Download the older version of the add-on builder, rename the app, export the app and import it after installing the new version of the add-on builder. 

2. Rebuild the app from scratch.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...