Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Enterprise Security: Why are notable events not created and notable alert_action is not triggered?

kwchang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

One of my Splunk Enterprise Security customer's complained that sometimes the notable events are not created even when the corresponding raw data is there.
So I checked the scheduler log and found that there were cases that the "notable" alert_action was not triggered when the result_count was not "0".

Please see the red box in the screen capture below. This correlation search runs every 2 minutes. At 13:00:54, result_count was "1", but "notable" alert_action was not triggered.

alt text

This problem (missing notable events) happens randomly across almost all correlation searches they have, several times in a day.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any clue from the splunkd log so far. There were no error or warning messages when these problems happened.

My customer is running ES 4.1.1 on Splunk 6.4.3. (search head clustering + multisite indexer clustering environment)

Any suggestion for troubleshooting would be very appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

0 Karma

smoir_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Check the throttling of notable events for that search. If the search is throttling notable events, and the "randomly" skipped notable events fall into that time window, that would explain why a notable event isn't being created.

0 Karma

aglinowi
Engager

Did you find a resolution to this problem? I'm experiencing a very similar issue. Thanks

0 Karma

kwchang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi smoir. Thank you for your answer.
Already checked that. Throttling was not configured.

0 Karma

kwchang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Smoir. I just found an ongoing support case which has very similar symptom with my case. I think, I need to contact support team. Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...