Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Enterprise Security: What do certain parts of my correlation search mean?

parsharif
Explorer

Hello everyone
i've just looking into content management correlation searches' code and I couldn't understand some parts of it!

these are my questions:
what is the difference between tstats and 'tsats'
why do they put some entities into $?

for example:

| tstats `summariesonly` values(Authentication.action) as action,values(Authentication.app) as app,values(Authentication.src) as src,values(Authentication.dest) as dest,values(Authentication.user) as user,count from datamodel=Authentication.Authentication where $constraints$ by _time span=$span$

the code above is for "Entity Investigator Search".

and the last question, for now, is what is the meaning of "drop_dm_object_name"??

I surf the net but I couldn't find the best answer or any answers for my questions!

Thank YOU

0 Karma
1 Solution

koshyk
Super Champion
  1. 'tstats' (single tick) is a macro . You can check in macros, the expansion of it within ES app
  2. $xyz$ is for dynamic substitution
  3. drop_dm_object_name is another macro to remove the parent object of CIM datamodels (eg The original field value would be Authentication.src , but if you apply the drop_dm_object_name , then the field becomes src )

View solution in original post

koshyk
Super Champion
  1. 'tstats' (single tick) is a macro . You can check in macros, the expansion of it within ES app
  2. $xyz$ is for dynamic substitution
  3. drop_dm_object_name is another macro to remove the parent object of CIM datamodels (eg The original field value would be Authentication.src , but if you apply the drop_dm_object_name , then the field becomes src )

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This particular question is not Splunk enterprise security specific, the `` symbols are macros been used which then substitute to the contents of the macro. The $$ symbols are for substituting variables...

parsharif
Explorer

Thank you @ garethatiag
you mean that for both 'x' and $x$, symbols are for substitution, right?

what about my last question? could you please give me some hints?

With Regards

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The $variable$ is a token/variable, if this was a dashboard you could refer to Token usage in dashboards
For macros refer to search macros , finally you might want to use the job inspector this will show you the final search result, although it be be tricky to read the search information.

Finally the Splunk ES documentation has information about creating correlation searches , the correlation searches can be quite complicated to understand in ES. I do not have access to an ES instance so I cannot answer all your questions, but do accept the answer if it does answer your question...

0 Karma

parsharif
Explorer

Yes; you helped me a lot. I really appreciate

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...