Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Enterprise Security: How to resolve "error:138 - Masking the original 404 message" after trying to load Content Management page?

pinVie
Path Finder

Hi all,

So since today, I get the following error message in _internal (sourcetype splunk_web_service):

"error:138 - Masking the original 404 message: 'The path '/en-US/custom/SA-ThreatIntelligence/correlation_searches/get_searches' was not found.' with 'Page not found!' for security reasons"

This happens when I want to open the "Content Management" Page in the Security Enterprise Security App.

I am somehow stuck here because IMO nothing at all changed - actually I haven't done any changes in ES for more then 2 weeks.

Anybody ever experienced this issue - how can I fix this?

Thank you!

1 Solution

bohanlon_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Present in ES=4.0.1-4.0.5 (Maybe other versions also).
Fixed in Newer versions (i.e. ES=4.2+ ES=4.5+).
Examples of Bug = Splunk Bug references SOLNESS-6255 and SOLNESS-11038.

The cause = The correlation_search.py web controller loads some helper code. This uses relative pathing, so depending on how the controller is executed we might not specify the intended directory.

The workaround:
Edit $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SA-ThreatIntelligence/appserver/controllers/correlation_searches.py:

from = sys.path.append( os.path.join("..", "..", "bin") )
to = sys.path.append(make_splunkhome_path(['etc', 'apps', 'SA-ThreatIntelligence', 'bin']))

The Fix:
Upgrade to ES=4.2+ or ES=4.5+

View solution in original post

bohanlon_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Present in ES=4.0.1-4.0.5 (Maybe other versions also).
Fixed in Newer versions (i.e. ES=4.2+ ES=4.5+).
Examples of Bug = Splunk Bug references SOLNESS-6255 and SOLNESS-11038.

The cause = The correlation_search.py web controller loads some helper code. This uses relative pathing, so depending on how the controller is executed we might not specify the intended directory.

The workaround:
Edit $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SA-ThreatIntelligence/appserver/controllers/correlation_searches.py:

from = sys.path.append( os.path.join("..", "..", "bin") )
to = sys.path.append(make_splunkhome_path(['etc', 'apps', 'SA-ThreatIntelligence', 'bin']))

The Fix:
Upgrade to ES=4.2+ or ES=4.5+

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...