Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Enterprise Security: How to ingest firewall ,waf ,ssandbox ,email gateway, endpoints logs to datamodels

RK_sp1unk

How can I ingest firewall ,waf ,ssandbox ,email gateway, endpoints logs to Splunk ES datamodels?

I am trying to work on Splunk ES dashboards with the below details:

WAF Issues
Firewall Issues
Malware Reports
DLP Activities
DDAN

These are the sources to look for:

• network traffic : (firewall ip address) (proxy: ip address) (imsva (mail gatewa) ip address - shqimsva), ip address
• malware: ip address (apex central - index is trendmicro) proxy and mail gateway , ip address
• dlp: ip address (apex central - index trendmicro), mail gateway [DLP_Credit Card info] -
• waf = ip address
• web center (waf, iwsva proxy ip address)

Dashboards are not loading details about the above logs.

0 Karma

rfaircloth_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You are asking multiple questions at once that are very vague. It would be helpful to have a question with each specific source you are working with allowing those with experience in specific technologies to help you. For the portion of your sources that happen to be syslog based connections you may want to check out the new Splunk Connect for Syslog
https://splunk-connect-for-syslog.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sources/

0 Karma

RK_sp1unk

thanks for the info but it seems

• Asset and Identity has not been configured that results in showing unknown values in many dashboards
• Data Mapping and Normalization has not been done properly
the above issues needs to be resolved first do you have any idea on this

0 Karma

rfaircloth_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Because this is a new install I would suggest connecting with your SE who may recommend services time to assist in initial deployment.

0 Karma

RK_sp1unk

Dear Friend,

Thanks for the info, this is not a new implementation, we had ES 4.7 installled and now it is upgraded to 5.2.2, exisitng splunk enterprise is 7.2.1

We are having difficulties in data mapping and data normalisations.

Regards,
Rahul.K

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend
0 Karma

jdhunter
Path Finder

First you need to make sure your data is CIM (Common Information Model) compliant. This is to normalize the data so you are using the same field values for the datamodel. You will want to look at each data model for the Common names and then check your data that corresponds to that datamodel. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/CIM/4.13.0/User/Overview

Example for Network Datamodel: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/CIM/4.13.0/User/NetworkTraffic

The data also needs to be tagged properly. Network traffic has the tag of network and communication. This is typically done through the app but you will need to check this as well.

alt text

This is is where I would start and move through each datamodel and data source you are having issues with.

0 Karma

RK_sp1unk

where can we get all the indexes details about all datamodels in CIM

0 Karma

RK_sp1unk

Thanks for the info but i tried malware dashbnoard with CIM malware index and tag =malware tag=attack....however it doesnot shows the malware detected by trendmicro deep discovery analyzer.

i have checked app as smtp , signature ,policy but no way i am tired of this datamodels even though mu dashboard like
intrusin center
malware
network resolution DNS
vulnearbilites
risk
threat
endpoint
DLP
dashboards are showing some data but i need to have real time datas from deep discovery analyszer , trendmicro apex central, firewalls , fortinet , trendmicro waf....

not sure what to do ....also because of ES now my indexer has also started crashing...

0 Karma

jdhunter
Path Finder

If you are having issues with the stability of your environment, I would open a Support case.

0 Karma

RK_sp1unk

can you give an example showing how do you map data in datamodels using your network devices as source.

for ex:source is trendmicro, data model is malware how can you configure the datamodel.

0 Karma

jdhunter
Path Finder

When you search your trend micro data, does this data have a tag field? You will see this on the left hand side when searching your data as Selected fields or Interesting fields. If you are having issues with your Splunk server, I would recommend calling support and asking for assistance in making changes to your datamodels as this can impact the performance of your Splunk environment.

0 Karma

RK_sp1unk

how to make sureor check that your data is CIM (Common Information Model) compliant

0 Karma

jdhunter
Path Finder

Search the data in question to make sure fields, for the datamodel they need to be a part, exist. Also check the for the field tag. The data needs to be tagged appropriately for that data model as well (tag=network and communicate). So your firewall data should follow the Network traffic data model. If the firewall has an IPS/IDS and that data is sent to Splunk, it will need to follow the datamodel Intrusion Detection field names and tags=ids and attack.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...