Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Enterprise Security: Adding exclusions to my Correlation Search for IPS?

bwoltz

Splunk 6.5.1
Splunk Enterprise Security (ES) 4.2.0

I wrote the correlation search below (show sources that trigger more than 100 IPS alerts) which triggers nicely but I'm trying to add exclusions to get my desired results. I'm looking to get the output of IPS alerts that only match Severity=4. I'm also looking to exclude CIDR ranges from the output, ex 10.0.0.0/8. Any thoughts?

| tstats allow_old_summaries=true values(IDS_Attacks.tag) as "tag",c(IDS_Attacks.signature) as "count" from datamodel=Intrusion_Detection where nodename=IDS_Attacks by "IDS_Attacks.src"  | rename "IDS_Attacks.src" as "src" | where 'count'>100 | rename "tag" as "orig_tag"
0 Karma
1 Solution

larryjcp
Explorer

Hi bwoltz. See my suggestion below:

| tstats allow_old_summaries=true values(IDS_Attacks.tag) as "tag",c(IDS_Attacks.signature) as "count"  from datamodel=Intrusion_Detection where nodename=IDS_Attacks by "IDS_Attacks.src"  
| `drop_dm_object_name("IDS_Attacks")`
| where 'count'>100 AND  severity=4 AND NOT cidrmatch("10.0.0.0/8",src)
| rename "tag" as "orig_tag"

| drop_dm_object_name("IDS_Attacks") - is a macro that allows to drop the data model object name

Hope it works!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Azerty728
Path Finder

Since 7.1.1, when a field is multivalue, after the rename (included in the drop_dm_object_name macro) it's no longer a MV field.
Splunk changed something in the rename commande, and it has broken the multivalue capability.
Sad !

0 Karma

larryjcp
Explorer

Hi bwoltz. See my suggestion below:

| tstats allow_old_summaries=true values(IDS_Attacks.tag) as "tag",c(IDS_Attacks.signature) as "count"  from datamodel=Intrusion_Detection where nodename=IDS_Attacks by "IDS_Attacks.src"  
| `drop_dm_object_name("IDS_Attacks")`
| where 'count'>100 AND  severity=4 AND NOT cidrmatch("10.0.0.0/8",src)
| rename "tag" as "orig_tag"

| drop_dm_object_name("IDS_Attacks") - is a macro that allows to drop the data model object name

Hope it works!

0 Karma

bwoltz

larryjcp, if I remove the parenthesis to the left of count it works like a charm. Thanks!!!

0 Karma

larryjcp
Explorer

Right!... It's a good practice to balance those guys haha! Glad it worked! (I edited the answer)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...