Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Enterprise Security 6.2.0 Upgrade Failure

jbburkes
Engager

Recently upgraded Splunk Enterprise Security from 6.1.1 to 6.2.0, install went fine, however clicking on Setup gives me the following error, this happens for both my personal account and the embedded administrator account:

Error: You do not have the permissions to view this page.

Executed the following Search: "| essinstall --dry-run gives the following error:"

Error in 'essinstall' command: (Exception) Missing the capabilities to use essinstall command

If I investigate the Job Inspector/Search.log I find the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/bin/essinstall.py" line 385 in run while self._handle_chunk()

Logged into the Splunk server SSH/CLI itself and ran the command manually ("/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd python3 /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecurity/bin/essinstall.py" as the splunk user and get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/bin/essinstall.py" line 14, in <module> import splunk.rest as rest

There is more to the error than the above, but figure I need to solve that issue first before worrying about the rest. Seems it cannot import splunk.rest?

Verified both the Splunk server is configured for python3 (not enforce) in local/server.conf as well as Splunk Enterprise Security which by default is python3 in inputs.conf, I don't have a custom inputs.conf in local for Splunk Enterprise Security

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

rivaanbechan
Engager

Grant the current user to inherit the ess_admin role.

jbburkes
Engager

Should also add that if I "upgrade" back to 6.1.1, no issues.  Only when I install 6.2.0 do I have issues.

0 Karma

jbburkes
Engager

Sorry just getting back to this, user already has essadmin. Still the same error. Thanks.

0 Karma

jbburkes
Engager

The only thing I found worked was to perform the following steps:

1. Change directories to: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/install

2.  Execute the following command: for i in *.spl; do /opt/splunk/bin/splunk install app $i; done

3. Change is_configured = 0 to is_configured = 1 in /opt/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/local/app.conf

3. Restart Splunk services

NOTE: Also works on 6.4.0

0 Karma

tomasmoser
Contributor
Yes, it did help.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...