Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk ES: collecting Assets from vCenter

andrewaalin
Explorer

Is there a suggested collection method for Assets (for Splunk ES), from vCenter?

I see the page "Collect and extract asset and identity data in Splunk Enterprise Security", but it does not address VMware.

(I realize and accept the weakness that the scope would be limited to virtualized assets.)

Ideally, I would like to do it without installing the Splunkbase VMware app/add-on, if there's a simpler way.

Thanks for the help.

"Collect and extract asset and identity data in Splunk Enterprise Security":
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/latest/Admin/Collectandextractassetandidentitydata

0 Karma

mgaudie_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey andrewaalin,

Please refer to this forum link that discusses how to extract the asset data out of vmware using the web client: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/504401

Once you have the csv file, you could then import that into Splunk and use it to mold your asset list.

0 Karma

andrewaalin
Explorer

Thanks, do you know any way to do this non-interactively?

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello there, i assume you would like to relay on the inventory list / data from vCenter. you can collect it in your preferred way and add it to your assets lookup. if those assets talk to your active directory, follow your link and create the list based on active directory

0 Karma

andrewaalin
Explorer

Yes, my question is focused on the relaying of the inventory list from vCenter: What are the suggested ways of doing so, and do they require the Splunkbase VMware add-on?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...