Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk ES - Troubleshooting Web Data Model

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

We have ES up and running and I'm starting to review the various Security Domains and relevant dashboards/reports.

For Security Domain -- Network -- Web Center there is a widget of 'Events Over Time By Status' that when I send to a search returns values other than HTTP status codes (200, 401, etc).

I do a pivot of the web data model and select 'status' and 'sourcetype' and I see the pan:threat sourcetype from our Palo Alto logs included with values that do not correspond to HTTP status codes.

Where would, or how would I go about excluding the pan:threat sourcetype from either the search, or from 'status' altogether?

The search is as follows:

| `tstats` count from datamodel=Web.Web where * by _time,Web.status span=10m 
| timechart minspan=10m useother=`useother` count by Web.status 
| `drop_dm_object_name("Web")`
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm tempted to modify the CS to exclude the PAN events.

| `tstats` count from datamodel=Web.Web where NOT sourcetype=pan:threat by _time,Web.status span=10m 
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm tempted to modify the CS to exclude the PAN events.

| `tstats` count from datamodel=Web.Web where NOT sourcetype=pan:threat by _time,Web.status span=10m 
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Thx Rich - worked perfectly

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...