Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk ES: TA-fortinet field extractions not working because of wrong fieldnames in TA

hthiel
Explorer

I tried to use the TA-fortinet, built-in in ES - for FortiGate logs send via FortiAnalyzer in syslog format.
But the field-extractions are not working, as the field-aliases in the add-on are ie. for the field "src", but in the log it is named "srcip".

Is there any other solution, than creating every field-alias manually?
Or should I use the FortiGate Add-on and not the built-in TA-fortinet?

I am using ES 5.2.2.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We use Fortinet Fortigate add-on for Splunk (version 1.6.0) and have uninstalled TA-fortinet shipped with ES. We are on Splunk Core 7.1.3/ES 5.11 and CIM 4.11.0

So, you should be good to uninstall the TA-fortinet and install the appropriate version and validate them against your datamodels. Create alias/update extractions as needed, over and beyond what is needed (from add-ons)

View solution in original post

mikkorh
Explorer

Lets spam this thread also, I have a bit related problem, with CIM 4.12.0, ES 5.2.1 and Splunk 7.2.3 and Fortigate add-on 1.6.0 the signature from IPS says "unknown" instead of real signature sent by device. Signatures are however visible in Fortigate App for Splunk in the same Splunk instance. I can't seem to pinpoint where this gets broken. 😕 Any advice?

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

check the data in the index and the field extractions via props.conf/transforms.conf and adjust/update them in your local/ folder to match your data. Its possible that not all data and the format required by the add-on is coming to splunk or an issue with the add-on itself.

0 Karma

asalimkumar

Did you got this issue resolved ?

0 Karma

malte_schroeder
Engager

The problem is that the field aliases don't seem to work in Splunk_TA_fortinet_fortigate. The original fields are properly extracted ("attack") but the alias doesn't appear ("signature").

0 Karma

maraman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

have you tried changing the FIELDALIAS to use ASNEW (7.2.5 + needed) ?
see RN about field alias changes from 7.2

0 Karma

mikkorh
Explorer

Solution - trash the Fortigate add-on 1.6.0 and go back to ES built-in TA-fortinet add-on. I don't know should I cry or laugh.

0 Karma

hthiel
Explorer

Thanks for your answer!

Thats how it worked for me, too! So I am not using the built-in add-ons anymore, even though I am using the Splunk_TA-ForIndexers just for DA- / SA- from ES.

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We use Fortinet Fortigate add-on for Splunk (version 1.6.0) and have uninstalled TA-fortinet shipped with ES. We are on Splunk Core 7.1.3/ES 5.11 and CIM 4.11.0

So, you should be good to uninstall the TA-fortinet and install the appropriate version and validate them against your datamodels. Create alias/update extractions as needed, over and beyond what is needed (from add-ons)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...