Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk ES 6.1.1 asset_lookup_by_cidr not populated

kwasielewski
Path Finder

We are validating our Splunk 6.1.1 ES installation and have noticed the "asset_lookup_by_cidr" kvstore based lookup data is not being populated.  Looks like ES 6.1.1 now runs a python script module in a input process to extract the data from our assets file then into the kvstore for further processing.  It's not working and i am struggling to figure out how to troubleshoot the the python modular approach to this extraction. 

Any idea where I can look for issues?  Here are some of the items I have already checked.

1.  Our asset data does include the ip field with entries containing subnet masks.  Like 127.0.0.1/32 .

2. Running the original 5.x correlation query which used to populate the "asset_lookup_by_cidr" table produces results.  This leads me to believe the data is in good shape.

3. A review of the _internal logs is not showing any python scripting errors from the modules that I have noticed.

Thank you,

Ken

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

/32 will not help you here because we interpret that as one (1) ip address.... Something like 127.0.0.0/8 would work here.

If you have other data in your source files that is something other than a /32 or a format in the following:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.2.0/Admin/Formatassetoridentitylist#Asset_lookup_fields

Look at the IP field example.

Then you might be having an issue.  I would suggest you start with the identity_manager.log to see what is going on here.  If you have more information please provide it and I will try and help you out.

Okie

View solution in original post

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

/32 will not help you here because we interpret that as one (1) ip address.... Something like 127.0.0.0/8 would work here.

If you have other data in your source files that is something other than a /32 or a format in the following:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.2.0/Admin/Formatassetoridentitylist#Asset_lookup_fields

Look at the IP field example.

Then you might be having an issue.  I would suggest you start with the identity_manager.log to see what is going on here.  If you have more information please provide it and I will try and help you out.

Okie

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...