Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk ES 6.1.1 asset_lookup_by_cidr not populated

kwasielewski
Path Finder

We are validating our Splunk 6.1.1 ES installation and have noticed the "asset_lookup_by_cidr" kvstore based lookup data is not being populated.  Looks like ES 6.1.1 now runs a python script module in a input process to extract the data from our assets file then into the kvstore for further processing.  It's not working and i am struggling to figure out how to troubleshoot the the python modular approach to this extraction. 

Any idea where I can look for issues?  Here are some of the items I have already checked.

1.  Our asset data does include the ip field with entries containing subnet masks.  Like 127.0.0.1/32 .

2. Running the original 5.x correlation query which used to populate the "asset_lookup_by_cidr" table produces results.  This leads me to believe the data is in good shape.

3. A review of the _internal logs is not showing any python scripting errors from the modules that I have noticed.

Thank you,

Ken

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

/32 will not help you here because we interpret that as one (1) ip address.... Something like 127.0.0.0/8 would work here.

If you have other data in your source files that is something other than a /32 or a format in the following:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.2.0/Admin/Formatassetoridentitylist#Asset_lookup_fields

Look at the IP field example.

Then you might be having an issue.  I would suggest you start with the identity_manager.log to see what is going on here.  If you have more information please provide it and I will try and help you out.

Okie

View solution in original post

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

/32 will not help you here because we interpret that as one (1) ip address.... Something like 127.0.0.0/8 would work here.

If you have other data in your source files that is something other than a /32 or a format in the following:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.2.0/Admin/Formatassetoridentitylist#Asset_lookup_fields

Look at the IP field example.

Then you might be having an issue.  I would suggest you start with the identity_manager.log to see what is going on here.  If you have more information please provide it and I will try and help you out.

Okie

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...