Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk App for Enterprise Security: Why do the Threatintel lookup files not work unless used after the table command?

hcheang
Path Finder

Hello,

I am using the threat intelligence lookup files from the Splunk App for Enterprise Security and the lookup file (e.g. threatintel_by_domain) is giving an error when it is not used after table.

For example,

index=* sourcetype=bluecoat | table cs_host user | lookup threatintel_by_domain.csv domain as cs_host OUTPUT threat_collection | search threat_collection=*

works, but

index=* sourcetype=bluecoat | lookup threatintel_by_domain.csv domain as cs_host OUTPUT threat_collection | search threat_collection=* | table cs_host user

gives error saying The lookup table 'threatintel_by_domain.csv' does not exist or is not available.

All my custom lookup files work without table, but all the lookups in threatintel does not work without table. I've checked the permission and they are all global so it is not an issue with permission.

Any suggestion?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are referencing the lookup by filename but you need to be referencing it by definition. Go to Settings -> Lookup -> Lookup definitions and select the ES app (or "All") in "App Context" and search for threatintel_by_domain.csv in the search box. It will identify the Lookup definition that is associated with that table. When I did this, I found one that it is called threatintel_by_domain. Swap out this value in your search like this:

index=* sourcetype=bluecoat | lookup threatintel_by_domaindomain as cs_host OUTPUT threat_collection | search threat_collection=* | table cs_host user
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...