Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk App for Enterprise Security: Threat lists are downloading, but why are the dashboard and lookups empty?

masplunk
Explorer

New splunk user here and i am hoping someone can help with ES / threatlist problem.

After installing ES and setting up threatlists they appeared to be working correctly, but only a few show up in the dashboard (threatlist activity).

I found threatlists in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-Threatintelligence/lookups, but they are all empty and say "intentionally left empty" and when we do |inputlookup threatlistxxx.csv it gives no results.

I can see from some searches that they ARE downloading and the sizes but I am trying to find out where they are downloaded to? So i am having trouble figuring out why they are not showing up in the dashboards?
Any help would be greatly appreciated !

1 Solution

masplunk
Explorer

Splunk support answered my questions nicely.
Threatlists are downloaded to: /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/threatlists

To check download date / size, do a ls -lthr. If the dates are current, sizes normal then all is functioning as it should.

The reason we may not be seeing data in our dashboards, is there may be no data in our system that matches the threatlists. To test this I plan on creating a custom threat list with an IP i know we see activity on and hope to see it.

View solution in original post

masplunk
Explorer

Splunk support answered my questions nicely.
Threatlists are downloaded to: /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/threatlists

To check download date / size, do a ls -lthr. If the dates are current, sizes normal then all is functioning as it should.

The reason we may not be seeing data in our dashboards, is there may be no data in our system that matches the threatlists. To test this I plan on creating a custom threat list with an IP i know we see activity on and hope to see it.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...