Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk App for Enterprise Security: How to troubleshoot why some custom correlation searches (Notables) are not generating events?

MHibbin
Influencer

Hi,

I've hit a bit of a road block trying to set up some custom correlation searches, which are very similar to others that work successfully.

The data model is configured and generates events; and I have a pivot search that generates events. When setting up others, this worked fine, however, on the last two I've tried setting, it appears to not be generating events. The time frame is the last 60 minutes, and the notable has some variables.

The inspector shows that it is not able to find events (considering the search runs fine in flashtimeline). I know it is a bit ambiguous, but is there anything obvious I could be missing?

hmmm....

Thanks. 🙂

0 Karma
1 Solution

MHibbin
Influencer

It turns out the correlation searches didn't like the eventtype, I have temporary work around and will have to revisit this at a later date.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

It turns out the correlation searches didn't like the eventtype, I have temporary work around and will have to revisit this at a later date.

0 Karma

tskinnerivsec
Contributor

1st, you need to test the triggering condition, then manually run your search and verify that you are capturing results with the searches that you are using for your correlations.

0 Karma

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are they Scheduled or RT Searches? How many cores are on your ES SH? I assume you are created custom DM's for these or are you using one out of the box? Are they accelerated?

0 Karma

tskinnerivsec
Contributor

I would take a serious look at time synchronization across your environment. Correlation searches depend heavily on all the monitored devices having the same time. They should all be using ntp and syncing from the same times source.

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

Scheduled searches,
16 cores,
Custom DM,
Not accelerated 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...