Splunk Enterprise Security

Searching a Splunk Enterprise Security data model, why do I get no results using a wildcard in a conditional where statement?

gary_richardson
Path Finder

Hello!

Hope someone can assist.

The search:

| datamodel "Intrusion_Detection" "Network_IDS_Attacks" search | where srcip="184.105.247.196"

Returns all the events from the data model, where the field srcip=184.105.247.196

The search:

| datamodel "Intrusion_Detection" "Network_IDS_Attacks" search | where srcip="184.105.247.*"

Returns nothing.

Am I missing something here? I've used wildcards in numerous searches up to now, so I can't understand why this is failing. Is the * being escaped by the quotes, which I didn't think was possible?

I can find the original events which match using the same where srcip="184.105.247.*" conditional from outside of the datamodel.

Cheers.

0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
Super Champion

Try search instead or use where with LIKE:

| datamodel "Intrusion_Detection" "Network_IDS_Attacks" search | search srcip="184.105.247.*"

View solution in original post

javiergn
Super Champion

Try search instead or use where with LIKE:

| datamodel "Intrusion_Detection" "Network_IDS_Attacks" search | search srcip="184.105.247.*"

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To be clear, the "where" search operator is very literal.

gary_richardson
Path Finder

That's solved it, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...