Splunk Enterprise Security

Problem with Enterprise Security Correlation Search

dgillette3
Explorer

This Enterprise Security correlation search "Anomalous Audit Trail Activity Detected" is generating a whole bunch of false positives.

| from datamodel:"Change_Analysis"."Auditing_Changes" | where ('action'="cleared" OR 'action'="stopped") | stats max(_time) as "lastTime",latest(_raw) as "orig_raw",count by "dest","result" | rename "result" as "signature"

The search returns results if tag=audit or change and action=cleared or stopped. Windows Security Event ID 1100 meets the conditions. The event is generated when the logging service is shutdown, say by someone trying to hide their tracks, but it's also generated during normal system shutdown. I'm trying to fix the search.

I want to exclude an 1100 event if an event 4647 also occurs within a span of 1 minute.

I don't know if I'm on the right track or not. I've got this search written but I'm not sure how to merge it with the correlation search.

index="winevtsec" sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" | transaction host startswith="EventCode=4647" endswith="EventCode=1100" maxspan=1m

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...