Splunk Enterprise Security

Passing Variable to Inputlookup

geekf
Path Finder

I am running a query to find the list of users that received an email from a particular email address. This is working fine until I try to get more details by using Inputlookup. I want to use Inputlookup to get more details about the users like their department, location, etc which can only be done through that. I need to pass the results from the search to get the other details. The search lists all the userids since I strip out the domain by using the regex.

Here is my query:

sourcettype=sendmail to=*
[ search sourcetype=sendmail from=email@gmail.com
| fields qid]
| rex field=orig_recipient "(?[^@]+)"
| dedup orig_recipient
| inputlookup append=t identity_lookup_expanded where * identity=$orig_recipient$]
| table orig_recipient dept email some other fields

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The $ operator only applies in the map command and when referencing inputs to a dashboard.
Why use inputlookup here? Why not lookup identity_lookup_expanded email as orig_recipient OUTPUT bunit, work_city, work_country?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The $ operator only applies in the map command and when referencing inputs to a dashboard.
Why use inputlookup here? Why not lookup identity_lookup_expanded email as orig_recipient OUTPUT bunit, work_city, work_country?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

geekf
Path Finder

This worked perfectly!
Thanks a lot for your prompt response...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...