Splunk Enterprise Security

Match 2 log lines using common value and compare

mohanrajm
Explorer

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Splunk and trying to achieve the below requirements. Please help me.

If the system name is not started with "AUH" and if it's part of "corporate_VPN" then give the result in a table with the user name, computer name, and group name. user field has a common value between these 2 log lines but system name is from another log line.

2020-05-21 13:47:18 System4.Info 10.10.10.1 date=2020-05-21 time=13:47:45 devname="FW01-T1" devid="FG201" logid="39949" type="event" subtype="vpn" level="information" logdesc="SSL VPN statistics" action="tunnel-stats" tunneltype="ssl-tunnel" user="testuser" group="corporate_VPN" msg="SSL tunnel statistics"

2020-05-21 13:47:51 System4.Info 10.10.10.1 date=2020-05-21 time=13:47:51 devname="FW01-T1" devid="FG201" logid="45057" type="event" subtype="endpoint" level="information" logdesc="FortiClient connection added" action="add" status="success" connection_type="sslvpn" count=1 user="testuser" systemname="AUHWIN01" msg="Add a FortiClient Connection."

Regards,
Mohan

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This may help, but the results may be not great if there are multiple sets of events for the same user.

index=foo
| stats values(*) as * by user
| where match(group, "corporate_VPN") AND NOT match(systemname, "(?i)AUH.*")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This may help, but the results may be not great if there are multiple sets of events for the same user.

index=foo
| stats values(*) as * by user
| where match(group, "corporate_VPN") AND NOT match(systemname, "(?i)AUH.*")
---

mohanrajm
Explorer

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm getting the unexpected results but due to case-sensitivity, I guess. how to match the system name even if it's case sensitive or not?

For Example:
AUH
auh
Auh

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use the case-insensitive flag (?i) in the regular expression. I've updated my answer to include it.

---
0 Karma

mohanrajm
Explorer

Thank you so much for your support. It is working perfectly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...