Splunk Enterprise Security

KV Store Lookup to Email with timestamp search

Splunkometry88
Explorer

Hi Team

I am searching to confirm the SPL to poll a KV Store check the status of the es_notable_events when a status changes and then send an email, also would like to check timestamps to work out what the newest event is

The SPL i have working to send (most of the time) is below 

| inputlookup es_notable_events where status="1"
| sendemail to=email@address.com format=raw subject=Splunk Notable Event sendresults=true

Appreciate any help 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

would you like send an email whenever status is updated or only status is updated with 1.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

Splunkometry88
Explorer

Hi There!

I would like to send the email when the status is either 1 or 5 i.e. Open/Closed 

This is a clunky way of trying to interface with an external ticketing system

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

es_notable_events is lookup updated from saved search(ESS - Notable Events) for every 5 minutes. So if you use es_notable_events to send email notification on status change of notable, you need to wait 1-5 minutes to that change updated in es_notable_events. Hence you can directly use the search of saved search(ESS - Notable Events) which is what I am using here in this solution below:

Firstly, you need to write all your output of below search to lookup table where you will create new fields updated_time value would be now() ,  assuming we have sent an email to all for now.

time_range for below search depends on for how long you wanna keep a track of notable events. es_notable_events lookup will have only last 48 hours of events. if you think all notables status will be changed within 48 hours , you can set time range is 48 hours, I believe you might take more than 48 hours to resolve notable/incident. and this lookup will be growing in future to have track of changes for which we need to send an email 

`notable` 
| search NOT `suppression` 
| eval timeDiff_type=case(_time>=relative_time(now(), "-24h@h"),"current", 1=1, "historical") 
| expandtoken rule_title 
| table _time,event_id,security_domain,urgency,rule_name,rule_title,src,dest,src_user,user,dvc,status,status_group,owner,timeDiff_type,governance,control
| eval updated_time=now()
| outputlookup email_tracker_for_status_change.csv

Assuming you schedule the search for every 10 minutes, it's up to you how frequently you want to run.

`notable` 
| eval timeDiff_type=case(_time>=relative_time(now(), "-24h@h"),"current", 1=1, "historical") 
| expandtoken rule_title 
| table _time,event_id,security_domain,urgency,rule_name,rule_title,src,dest,src_user,user,dvc,status,status_group,owner,timeDiff_type,governance,control

append intermediate lookup(email_tracker_for_status_change.csv) which we have created earlier

and write updated results to lookup.

| append [|inputlookup email_tracker_for_status_change.csv]
| eventstats max(updated_time) as latest_updated_time dc(status) as dc_status by event_id
| where updated_time=latest_updated_time
| where dc_status=2
| fields - dc_status,latest_updated_time

final search would be: you can create alert and schedule, you can test before moving this to prod:

`notable` 
| expandtoken rule_title 

| append [|inputlookup email_tracker_for_status_change.csv]
| eventstats max(updated_time) as latest_updated_time dc(status) as dc_status by event_id
| where updated_time=latest_updated_time
| where dc_status=2
| fields - dc_status,latest_updated_time

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...