Splunk Enterprise Security

Internal Log Errors - copyresults

SplunkFu
Path Finder

Hi there,

I was just looking through our splunkd logs, and I notice multiple errors for the following:

<dateTime> ERROR SearchOperator:copyresults - You must provide a search id.

I couldn't really find much on splunkbase, so I turned up the logging for the copyresults command, and I can now see the following as an example:

INFO  SearchOperator:copyresults - mapped lookup name=system_uptime_tracker to fn=C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps/SA-EndpointProtection/lookups/system_uptime_tracker.csv

INFO  SearchOperator:copyresults - copy results.csv.gz to C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\SA-EndpointProtection\lookups\system_uptime_tracker.csv, success=1

INFO  ExecProcessor - Ran script: python "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\SA-ThreatIntelligence\bin\notable_owners.py", took 2168.4 milliseconds to run, 0 bytes read

ERROR SearchOperator:copyresults - You must provide a search id.

ERROR SearchOperator:copyresults - You must provide a search id.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I am seeing the events for other apps as well.

Thanks in advance,

SplunkFu

1 Solution

LukeMurphey
Champion

I'm not sure of the exact root cause but I think it was due to some overly aggressive logging. Reportedly, the messages no longer appear with 5.0.2 and later. Incidentally, I don't see them anymore ever since I upgraded my installation.

View solution in original post

tskinnerivsec
Contributor

I just upgraded to splunk 5.0.3 and I do have one instance of this error with a time stamp of 10 minutes ago and I performed the upgrade well over an hour ago. I'll chase it down, but I wouldn't say the issue is resolved with the most recent upgrade.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

What version of ES and Splunk you are on?

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

I'm not sure of the exact root cause but I think it was due to some overly aggressive logging. Reportedly, the messages no longer appear with 5.0.2 and later. Incidentally, I don't see them anymore ever since I upgraded my installation.

SplunkFu
Path Finder

Thanks, for the response.

We are planning our upgrade at the moment, so I will this to the back of my mind.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...