Splunk Enterprise Security

Input lookup results: How to exclude results from Lookups?

Ash
Engager

Hi,

index=network sourcetype=cisco:asa NOT src_ip IN("10.0.0.0/8","10.0.0.1,"10.0.0.2") | bucket _time span=1m
| stats dc(dest_port) as num_dest_port dc(dest_ip) as num_dest_ip by src_ip _time
| where num_dest_port > 500 OR num_dest_ip > 500 | eval Total=num_dest_port+num_dest_ip | sort -Total | dedup src_ip |

With Lookups:

index=network sourcetype=cisco:asa NOT src_ip IN("10.0.0.0/8","10.0.0.0/8","10.0.0.1,"10.0.0.2") | search NOT [|inputlookup Blocked_IP.csv] | fields src_ip | bucket _time span=1m
| stats dc(dest_port) as num_dest_port dc(dest_ip) as num_dest_ip by src_ip _time
| where num_dest_port > 500 OR num_dest_ip > 500 | eval Total=num_dest_port+num_dest_ip | sort -Total | dedup src_ip

I am not able to exclude the results from the Lookups or if I modify the search I'm not getting any results at all. Kindly help.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FelixLeh
Contributor

So if I understand you correctly you want something like this:

index=network sourcetype=cisco:asa NOT src_ip IN("10.0.0.0/8","10.0.0.1,"10.0.0.2")
| lookup Blocked_IP src_ip OUTPUT src_ip as is_blocked
| where isnull(is_blocked)
| bucket _time span=1m

| where num_dest_port > 500 OR num_dest_ip > 500
| eval Total=num_dest_port+num_dest_ip
| sort -Total
| dedup src_ip

You can lookup any csv within a search with "|lookup" and you don't need to reference the name of the csv if you have made a lookup definition for it. (e.g. if you have a csv named "my_lookup.csv" and a definition called "my_lookup" you can reference it in searches with "|lookup my_lookup")

Using "| fields src_ip" removes all fields except src_ip leading to you not seeing events.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

So if I understand you correctly you want something like this:

index=network sourcetype=cisco:asa NOT src_ip IN("10.0.0.0/8","10.0.0.1,"10.0.0.2")
| lookup Blocked_IP src_ip OUTPUT src_ip as is_blocked
| where isnull(is_blocked)
| bucket _time span=1m

| where num_dest_port > 500 OR num_dest_ip > 500
| eval Total=num_dest_port+num_dest_ip
| sort -Total
| dedup src_ip

You can lookup any csv within a search with "|lookup" and you don't need to reference the name of the csv if you have made a lookup definition for it. (e.g. if you have a csv named "my_lookup.csv" and a definition called "my_lookup" you can reference it in searches with "|lookup my_lookup")

Using "| fields src_ip" removes all fields except src_ip leading to you not seeing events.

0 Karma

Ash
Engager

Thanks you it helped. BTW what for where isnull(is_blocked) is used.

0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

| lookup Blocked_IP src_ip OUTPUT src_ip as is_blocked creates a field is_blocked for every event where a matching IP is found in the lookup. | where isnull(is_blocked) then removes all events where the field is_blocked has a value (all events that have a matching ip).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...