Splunk Enterprise Security

In Splunk Enterprise, I use |rest /services/authentication/users/ to get a list of users. How can I do the same in Splunk-ES?

dcrooks_cbp

I need a list of admins and also users from Splunk-ES to list in an audit dashboard.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since Splunk ES is built on core Splunk, the same command can be used. To isolate the ES users, look for role names beginning with "ess_".

| rest /services/authentication/users | search roles="ess_*" | dedup title
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

dcrooks_cbp

Thanks for the reply!

That command works for me in Splunk-ES, but not in Splunk Enterprise.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You asked for a command that works in Splunk ES and now you have one.
The same query will work in Splunk Enterprise if you remove the search command.

---
0 Karma

dcrooks_cbp

Guess my question is wrong. I need a list of Splunk-ES users from Splunk Enterprise.

When I run that rest command from Splunk Enterprise, I do not see any Splunk-ES users even when I remove the search command.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you have ES users registered on the Enterprise system where you run the query? If not, that would explain why they're not found.

---
0 Karma

dcrooks_cbp

How do I get them registered? I should be able to get a list of users in Splunk-ES, yes?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can register the ES users like you would any other user, but a non-ES instance won't have the ES roles that identify the users as being part of ES.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...