Splunk Enterprise Security

How to set up shared datamodels

wgawhh5hbnht
Communicator

We have a SHC of three members & 1 Enterprise Security. Prior to 8.0 each were running their own datamodels. Now that shared datamodel summaries is possible, I would like to set this up to reduce performance and disk usage but have questions about the exact implementation as the documentation is vague:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Knowledge/Sharedatamodelsummaries

I know that in datamodels.conf I need to set acceleration.source_guid but that's it.
My questions are:

1. Do I set this on the ES?
  2. Do I use /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/datamodels.conf?
  3. What would be the best way to verify the datamodels have been consolidated down to 1 copy? (right now datamodels are an exact copy of eachother)
Labels (1)
1 Solution

wgawhh5hbnht
Communicator

Answering my own question after opening a case w/ support. To accomplish this you need to:

1) Yes, set the acceleration.source_guid on ES per data model you want to accelerate. Don't do this in the [default] as there will be data models specific to only ES.

2) For me, these changes reside in "splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_SA_CIM/default/datamodels.conf" because the deployer is pushing them out to the cluster.

3) Didn't get an answer to this one.

Additionally, if you add additional fields in the SHC, they won't show up in the ES data models because the data model json doesn't update. On one of the SHC you will need to manually copy .json datamodel file you made a change to (/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_SA_CIM/local/data/model/) and move that over to ES. You can't use the deployer for this natively as the deployer doesn't update the .json files. If you wanted to a custom app would.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

wgawhh5hbnht
Communicator

Answering my own question after opening a case w/ support. To accomplish this you need to:

1) Yes, set the acceleration.source_guid on ES per data model you want to accelerate. Don't do this in the [default] as there will be data models specific to only ES.

2) For me, these changes reside in "splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_SA_CIM/default/datamodels.conf" because the deployer is pushing them out to the cluster.

3) Didn't get an answer to this one.

Additionally, if you add additional fields in the SHC, they won't show up in the ES data models because the data model json doesn't update. On one of the SHC you will need to manually copy .json datamodel file you made a change to (/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_SA_CIM/local/data/model/) and move that over to ES. You can't use the deployer for this natively as the deployer doesn't update the .json files. If you wanted to a custom app would.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...