Splunk Enterprise Security

How to search for brute force logins coming from an external source only?

ewonn

Guys, I am trying to specifically see if I can distinguish when the login attempts are coming from an external source. What else can I add to this search?

```| tstats summariesonly=t allow_old_summaries=t prestats=t count(Authentication.user) from datamodel=Authentication where Authentication.action=block* OR  Authentication.action=fail* groupby _time span=1h, Authentication.user
| tstats append=t summariesonly=t allow_old_summaries=t prestats=t count  from datamodel=Authentication where Authentication.action=success groupby _time span=1d, Authentication.user
| stats count count(Authentication.user) by Authentication.user
| rename count as successes count(Authentication.user) as failures Authentication.* as *
| where successes>0 AND failures>100
| sort - failures
| head```

I also tried the following search, but it didn't work because sometimes the source could be machine name or host name as letters:

NOT (src_ip="10.0.0.0/8" OR src_ip="172.16.0.0/12" OR src_ip="192.168.0.0/16")
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Filter on the Authentication.src field, using criteria that make sense for your environment.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...