Splunk Enterprise Security

How to properly configure a cluster of indexers to work ES?

sh_bolatbekov

Hello!
We need to implement architecture ES Splunk to 400 GB in clustering (SH, IDX). How we should to count numbers of idx for this capacity? In Splunk docs recommend to use per indexer up to 100Gb. How it will be in IDX clustering? We need data replication on index cluster. How index cluster will replicate 400GB data if Splunk docs recommend to use ES per indexer up to 100Gb?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will need at least 4 indexers. Note the "up to 100GB" in the recommendation. That means you may get less throughput per indexer depending on search activity and other factors. I suggest 5 indexers.
Replication mainly affects storage. You'll need more disk space to hold the replicated indexes. See https://splunk-sizing.appspot.com/

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will need at least 4 indexers. Note the "up to 100GB" in the recommendation. That means you may get less throughput per indexer depending on search activity and other factors. I suggest 5 indexers.
Replication mainly affects storage. You'll need more disk space to hold the replicated indexes. See https://splunk-sizing.appspot.com/

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

LukeB
Observer

Hello,

can you send me a link for the "up to 100GB" recommendation?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Firstly - please don't dig up threads from four years ago.

Secondly - there's no document specifying "you can ingest 100GB and you'll be fine" since noone will ever give you 100% guarantee. It's a rough estimate assuming some normal conditions using reference indexers. But you might hit your capacity limits way earlier if your search is heavy.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...