Splunk Enterprise Security

How to omit Scanners as a "Threat" from the Splunk App for Enterprise Security?

gwalford
Path Finder

I am running some Nessus scanners - these systems have not yet been integrated with Splunk.

Splunk's Enterprise Security application is listing these systems as high scanning activity devices under the network dashboards:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/3.3.1/User/NetworkProtectionDomaindashboards#Troubleshooting...

Obviously, I don't want Splunk to alert on high scanning activity from the Nessus systems as we expect them to scan. I am more concerned about systems that are performing scanning activity that are not my Nessus systems showing up in this list.

What is the best way to accomplish this? How would I whitelist the Nessus systems? Is a lookup best, or should I use the CIM and the data models?

I see two potential options for displaying these: 1) display only the unknown scanning systems or 2) colour the Nessus scanning systems as a green bar, and the unknown as red.

What is the best way to go about solving this problem?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gwalford
Path Finder

Well damn that was easy.

I must have used the wrong Google-Fu because I could not find that part of the docs!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...