Splunk Enterprise Security

How to make the Splunk ES Risk-Based Alerting risk threshold search case insensitive

hettervik
Builder

We've starter lookin into Risk-Based Alerting (RBA) in Splunk ES, and noticed that the logic for the risk notables is in fact case sensitive for risk objects (users and systems, mostly). This is a bit counterintuitive, as the Asset & Indentity (A&I) settings clearly says that it is are not case sensitive, but we figured out that RBA doesn't use A&I at all, and instead just used the fieldvalue for the user/system directly, without having any logic to merge users/systems under different aliases.

I've made a small change to the RBA alert "Risk Threshold Exceeded For Object Over 24 Hour Period" to at least make it case insensitve, in case anyone else need a fix for this problem as well.

Just change the two first lines for the search from this:

| tstats `summariesonly` sum(All_Risk.calculated_risk_score) as risk_score, count(All_Risk.calculated_risk_score) as risk_event_count,values(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id, dc(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as mitre_tactic_id_count, values(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id, dc(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as mitre_technique_id_count, values(All_Risk.tag) as tag, values(source) as source, dc(source) as source_count from datamodel=Risk.All_Risk by All_Risk.risk_object,All_Risk.risk_object_type
| `drop_dm_object_name("All_Risk")`

To this:

| tstats `summariesonly` sum(All_Risk.calculated_risk_score) as risk_score, count(All_Risk.calculated_risk_score) as risk_event_count, values(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id, values(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id, values(All_Risk.tag) as tag, values(source) as source from datamodel=Risk.All_Risk by All_Risk.risk_object,All_Risk.risk_object_type 
| `drop_dm_object_name("All_Risk")`
| eval risk_object=lower(risk_object)
| stats sum(risk_score) as risk_score, sum(risk_event_count) as risk_event_count, values(annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id, dc(annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as mitre_tactic_id_count, values(annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id, dc(annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as mitre_technique_id_count, values(tag) as tag, values(source) as source, dc(source) as source_count by risk_object, risk_object_type

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hettervik
Builder

Don't need an answer to this question, just wantet to share my solution.

View solution in original post

hettervik
Builder

Don't need an answer to this question, just wantet to share my solution.

marand
Explorer

Just what I was looking for 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...