Splunk Enterprise Security

How to make the Splunk ES Risk-Based Alerting risk threshold search case insensitive

hettervi
Builder

We've starter lookin into Risk-Based Alerting (RBA) in Splunk ES, and noticed that the logic for the risk notables is in fact case sensitive for risk objects (users and systems, mostly). This is a bit counterintuitive, as the Asset & Indentity (A&I) settings clearly says that it is are not case sensitive, but we figured out that RBA doesn't use A&I at all, and instead just used the fieldvalue for the user/system directly, without having any logic to merge users/systems under different aliases.

I've made a small change to the RBA alert "Risk Threshold Exceeded For Object Over 24 Hour Period" to at least make it case insensitve, in case anyone else need a fix for this problem as well.

Just change the two first lines for the search from this:

 

| tstats `summariesonly` sum(All_Risk.calculated_risk_score) as risk_score, count(All_Risk.calculated_risk_score) as risk_event_count,values(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id, dc(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as mitre_tactic_id_count, values(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id, dc(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as mitre_technique_id_count, values(All_Risk.tag) as tag, values(source) as source, dc(source) as source_count from datamodel=Risk.All_Risk by All_Risk.risk_object,All_Risk.risk_object_type
| `drop_dm_object_name("All_Risk")`

 



To this:

 

| tstats `summariesonly` sum(All_Risk.calculated_risk_score) as risk_score, count(All_Risk.calculated_risk_score) as risk_event_count, values(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id, values(All_Risk.annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id, values(All_Risk.tag) as tag, values(source) as source from datamodel=Risk.All_Risk by All_Risk.risk_object,All_Risk.risk_object_type 
| `drop_dm_object_name("All_Risk")`
| eval risk_object=lower(risk_object)
| stats sum(risk_score) as risk_score, sum(risk_event_count) as risk_event_count, values(annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id, dc(annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_tactic_id) as mitre_tactic_id_count, values(annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id, dc(annotations.mitre_attack.mitre_technique_id) as mitre_technique_id_count, values(tag) as tag, values(source) as source, dc(source) as source_count by risk_object, risk_object_type

 

 

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hettervi
Builder

Don't need an answer to this question, just wantet to share my solution.

View solution in original post

hettervi
Builder

Don't need an answer to this question, just wantet to share my solution.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Community Platform Survey

Hey Splunk Community, Starting today, the community platform may prompt you to participate in a survey. The ...

Observability Highlights | November 2022 Newsletter

 November 2022Observability CloudEnd Of Support Extension for SignalFx Smart AgentSplunk is extending the End ...

Avoid Certificate Expiry Issues in Splunk Enterprise with Certificate Assist

This blog post is part 2 of 4 of a series on Splunk Assist. Click the links below to see the other ...