Splunk Enterprise Security

How to limit memory usage for a search?

human96
Communicator

Could you please tell me about the following? If I want to limit memory usage for a search, is it correct to think that I should set the following?

=====
[search] enable_memory_tracker=true search_process_memory_usage_threshold=10000 search_process_memory_usage_percentage_threshold=60

=====

※ If either value of "10000 (MB)" or "60 (%)" is reached, the operation is forcibly terminated.

Is it correct to understand that the above setting is for all searches including ad hoc searches?

If I want to enable the settings for all app searches, is it safe to add them to limits.conf below? $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/limits.conf

※Set to $SPLUNK _ HOME/etc/apps/App name/local/limits.conf to search for individual apps.

Am I correct in thinking that the above limits.conf settings should be set for both SearchHead and Indexer?

0 Karma
1 Solution

tshah-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @human96,

Yes, it is correct to understand that these settings will be applied to all the searches. as @somesoni2 mentioned.  And yes as the doc suggests, your search will be terminated if the threshold for memory occupied in percentage or the bytes is reached. However, it is suggestible to be careful while placing these limits in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local. If you want all your searches (current + future) to fall in the threshold, then limits.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local can be updated. These settings will need to be updated on search head only.

---
If you find the answer helpful, an upvote/karma is appreciated

View solution in original post

tshah-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @human96,

Yes, it is correct to understand that these settings will be applied to all the searches. as @somesoni2 mentioned.  And yes as the doc suggests, your search will be terminated if the threshold for memory occupied in percentage or the bytes is reached. However, it is suggestible to be careful while placing these limits in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local. If you want all your searches (current + future) to fall in the threshold, then limits.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local can be updated. These settings will need to be updated on search head only.

---
If you find the answer helpful, an upvote/karma is appreciated

somesoni2
Revered Legend

All the information you need is here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Search/Limitsearchprocessmemoryusage

This is a system level configuration, so once set, it applies to all users accessing that Splunk instance (and it applies to both scheduled and ad-hoc searches). Setting it up on Search Head should be sufficient.

human96
Communicator

Hi @somesoni2  thanks for your response.

I already reviewed these threads given below and still unclear with my posted question.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Admin/Limitsconf

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Search/Limitsearchprocessmemoryusage

Could you please answer the question in details.

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...