Splunk Enterprise Security

How to enable master node on all indexers ?

Engager

Hi All ,

I am working in cluster environment with 16 prod indexers, and one separate cluster master node.

if I run /opt/splunk/bin/splunk list cluster-peers

if i run the above command in master node command prompt which showing all indexers in the cluster but if run same command on any of the indexers showing master node not enabled.
how to enable master node on each indexer . this case came while synch or pairing indexer with master node.

How to enable master node on all indexers with command line prompt.

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is well documented, but here is the short answer.

Assuming you have already set a pass4SymmKey in the [clustering] stanza on the master, these are the commands you want to run on each of the indexers/peers:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk edit cluster-config -mode slave -master_uri https://xx.xxx.xx.xxx:8089 -replication_port 9887 -secret your_key_here

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk restart

Obviously substituting in your master's IP and pass4SymmKey value (in plain text, not the hashed version).

However, I don't personally like this method as it leaved behind the secret in the command history. It's more secure to update server.conf and cycle Splunk, but you asked specifically about the CLI method.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.2/Indexer/ConfigurepeerswithCLI

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

Engager

could you please let me know the reason why it happened . all are in cluster environment with master node if we check from master node to all indexers are in state UP condition but if we check from indexer master node not enabled why this was coming .

one more question i would like to ask , if we ping from master node to indexer the data packets are sending but we check from indexer to master node showing "unknown host" , is it bidirectional or single direction....

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the master shows all peers are "up" then your cluster is healthy.

Running "/opt/splunk/bin/splunk list cluster-peers" is only valid from the master, it is not run on the peers.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...