Splunk Enterprise Security

How to create a new multivalue field based of answers field?

nb1030

We have the Bro add-on installed and everything is being parsed into the proper fields. The Bro DNS logs (sourcetype=bro_dns) have a field called "answers". The value in this field can contain multiple values, all comma delimited (i.e. 10.10.10.1,10.10.10.2,10.10.10.3). I do not have access to the backend (props.conf and transforms.conf) to make the proper changes in those files. I have tried multiple times through the UI via a Transformation field, but nothing I seem to do creates a new multivalue field (new field would be "dns_answers").

I figured this would work, but it doesn't:

Regular expression:   ( \d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})
Format:   dns_answers::$1
Source Key:   answers
Multivalue check box is checked.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try using the split command in your searches. Something like the following:

| makeresults 
| eval commadelim="value1, value2, value3" 
| eval newmvfield=split(commadelim,",")
0 Karma

nb1030

Thank you for the quick response. I understand we can do it via search, but is there no way to make it a permanent field through the UI Transformations Field page? Or can it only be made permanent by manually updating the props and transforms files?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...