Splunk Enterprise Security

How to automatically assign a recent random notable to a specific user

NightShark
Path Finder

Hello,

I would like to assign random new "unassigned" notables to a specific user.

I wanted to accomplish this via a saved search but unfortunately it did not work, and the userI am trying to assign to does actually exist in the enviroment when looking up the es_notable_events lookup which also has previous actions made on notables.

| inputlookup es_notable_events
| search owner="unassigned"
| head 10
| eval owner="usertoassign"
| outputlookup es_notable_events append=true key_field=owner

Is there another way to do this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Regards,

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is updated in this version of the docs.  I don't know why other versions are not updated.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.5.1/Admin/Createnotablesmanually#Use_the_owner_field_in_a...

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The key_field value should be be _key rather than owner.  As it stands now, the query is attempting to change the lookup row with key "usertoassign", which doesn't exist and so the changes aren't made.

---
0 Karma

NightShark
Path Finder

Thank you for the response,

However I do not quite understand how to rewrite my query based on your feedback.

I have used the following resource from the Splunk docs to accomplish what I am trying to do:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/7.0.0/Admin/Createnotablesmanually

Regards,

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I had doubts about that part of the document so I submitted feedback on it.  The Docs team have since updated that SPL.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is updated in this version of the docs.  I don't know why other versions are not updated.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.5.1/Admin/Createnotablesmanually#Use_the_owner_field_in_a...

---

NightShark
Path Finder

Even though the referenced material is correct and works as intended by updating the csv for the specific line, however when loading incident review the notable events are still not mapped to a certain user unfortunately 😕 I assume they are overwritten by other rules or searches. Thank you either way.

0 Karma

NightShark
Path Finder

Well that is weird, Okay I got it. Thank you very much!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

NightShark
Path Finder

I haven't really seen any update or any change on the specific SPL we were mentioning earlier, or am I looking at the wrong query?

SPL from doc as of 01.02.22:

| inputlookup es_notable_events | search owner=gleb | eval owner="george"| outputlookup es_notable_events append=true key_field=owner

Thanks,

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...