Splunk Enterprise Security

How does Splunk SE impact existing infrastructure performance?

ITAdminBart
Engager

Hello,

I have been searching for hours but I have yet to come across to an answer to my question:

- How does Splunk SE impact the performance of my existing infrastructure since it will ingest and process a lot of data? (I'm talking CPU performance of switches, virtual machines etc. and general bandwith)

If there's a general answer to this question then please let me know. If there's a specific answer to this question and lots more information is needed: Which steps can my organization undertake to get a better view of the performance situation?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you referring to the Security Essentials (SE) app or the Enterprise Security (ES) app?  The question mentions the former, but it's in the ES forum.

Neither app ingests any data as they both simply use the data that's already ingested.

There is no specific answer to the question because the performance will depend on how you use the app.  The more searches you run the more performance will be impacted.

ES is a known resource hog.  That's why Splunk recommends it be installed on a dedicated search head.

As for how to get a better view of the performance situation, use the same techniques you use to monitor the performance of any of your servers.  For a more specific answer, ask a more specific question.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you referring to the Security Essentials (SE) app or the Enterprise Security (ES) app?  The question mentions the former, but it's in the ES forum.

Neither app ingests any data as they both simply use the data that's already ingested.

There is no specific answer to the question because the performance will depend on how you use the app.  The more searches you run the more performance will be impacted.

ES is a known resource hog.  That's why Splunk recommends it be installed on a dedicated search head.

As for how to get a better view of the performance situation, use the same techniques you use to monitor the performance of any of your servers.  For a more specific answer, ask a more specific question.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...