Splunk Enterprise Security

How do you remove threat feed data already in Enterprise Security?

cheaston

Enterprise Security comes pre-configured with several blocklists, however we have a valid business case for some of them and want to remove the items from Threat Artifacts. We can disable the download for a threat feed, but the data is still showing under threat artifacts and still creates incidents and triggers alerts. How do we actually remove or hide the threat intelligence data from a feed that has already been downloaded and indexed in Splunk?

0 Karma

jstoner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Disabling the threat downloads will stop the new data from coming in. Using the searches above will clear out the kvstore. I would not do the head statements. All data in the kvstore will have a threat_key so keying on that will get all intel out.

|inputlookup certificate_intel |search threat_key=!* |outputlookup certificate_intel

If you are keying on a specific set of data you want to exclude you can use that threat_key to get rid of a specific feed.

The lookup generation will populate csv files called threatintel_by_*.csv found in /apps/DA-ESS-ThreatIntelligence/lookups/ and if you want to get rid of the residual data also check there.

chris
Motivator

Could that be added to a macro in ES to make the deleting process easier?

0 Karma

jstoner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

i don't see why it couldn't, but i would secure those macros.

0 Karma

niemesrw
Path Finder

I cleared out all of the lookup tables - they're all kvstore inputs in the collections.conf file inside /opt/splunk/etc/apps/DA-ESS-ThreatIntelligence/default

| inputlookup ip_intel | head 10 | outputlookup ip_intel
| inputlookup certificate_intel | head 1 | outputlookup certificate_intel
| inputlookup file_intel | head 1 | outputlookup file_intel
| inputlookup process_intel | head 1 | outputlookup process_intel

There's probably a cleaner way to do this, but that's how I'm trying to get rid of them.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...