Splunk Enterprise Security

How do you customize colors in a bar chart?

snigdhasaxena
Communicator

I have been trying to customize the color of bars in a Bar chart as per the field values.

I have tried using eval/if, case as per suggestions in Splunk answers but none of it helps.

To edit the source,I applied charting.fieldcolors and charting.seriesColors but the color of bars in dashboard doesn't change.

| `xyz` 
| search comment=WAA OR 
    comment=CWMW OR 
    comment=PHSH OR 
    comment=PHSHMA OR 
    comment=PHSHWS OR 
    comment=IM OR 
    comment=3PI OR 
    comment=Other | replace WAA with "A" in comment| replace CWMW with "B" in comment| replace PHSH with "C" in comment| replace PHSHMA with "D" in comment | replace PHSHWS with "E" in comment| replace IM with "F" in comment| replace 3PI with "G" in comment
| stats count by comment  | eventstats sum(count) as perc | eval perc=round(count*100/perc,2)
|eval v1=if(comment="A","A",1)
|eval v2=if(comment="B","B",2)
|eval v3 =if(comment="C","C",3)
|eval v4=if(comment="D","D",4)
|eval v5=if(comment="E","E",5)
|eval v6=if(comment="F","F",6)
| table comment perc

Note that the chart is stacked.

I have tried all the solutions in splunk.answers, but nothing works

xml code :

{"v1":0xFF0000,"v2":0xFFFF00,"v3":0x00FF00,"v4":0xFF0000,"v5":0xFFFF00,"v6":0x00FF00}
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@snigdhasaxena before you work with coloring fields, there are some of the things you should look at in your existing query
1) Move search filters to base search
2) replace should be after stats
3) eval v1, v2... do not seem to add any value as you are dropping the fields.
4) seems like you are better off using top command instead of using eventstats to calculate percent.

FYI, Your existing query should show colors if you use pie chart visualization, but not column or bar chart which needs a transpose of axis.

Following is an example with Splunk's _internal index where I have used 3 components instead of 7 comment values that you have used.

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component IN ("Metrics","PeriodicHealthReporter","ModularInputs")
| top 3 component showperc=t showcount=f
| eval percent=round(percent,2)
| fields - _*
| transpose 3 header_field=component column_name=component

PS: Output of first three command should be similar to what you have in your current search.

Please try out and confirm!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@snigdhasaxena before you work with coloring fields, there are some of the things you should look at in your existing query
1) Move search filters to base search
2) replace should be after stats
3) eval v1, v2... do not seem to add any value as you are dropping the fields.
4) seems like you are better off using top command instead of using eventstats to calculate percent.

FYI, Your existing query should show colors if you use pie chart visualization, but not column or bar chart which needs a transpose of axis.

Following is an example with Splunk's _internal index where I have used 3 components instead of 7 comment values that you have used.

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component IN ("Metrics","PeriodicHealthReporter","ModularInputs")
| top 3 component showperc=t showcount=f
| eval percent=round(percent,2)
| fields - _*
| transpose 3 header_field=component column_name=component

PS: Output of first three command should be similar to what you have in your current search.

Please try out and confirm!

snigdhasaxena
Communicator

Thanks a lot, it worked for me 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...