Splunk Enterprise Security

How do I stop the "threat list download failed after multiple retries" messages on disabled threat inputs?

scottrunyon
Contributor

It looks like the seven iblocklist feeds included in Splunk Enterprise Security (ES) 4.5.0 are now subscription based and ES can no longer pull them.

To try and stop the messages,
1. I disabled the feeds in Data inputs » Threat Intelligence Downloads
2. I modified the Interval to 610000 (once a week)
3. Under \local\inputs.conf[configuration_check://confcheck_failed_threat_download], added files to suppress (SOLNESS-10559 in known issues)

Every three hours, the messages show up.

What else do I need to do to stop these messages?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great, so for this one. I filed:
SOLNESS-11180
[PUBLIC] [CUSTOMER] Threat Intelligence: emerging_threats_compromised_ip_blocklist is no longer available for download
It seems the vendor has quit publishing this list. (We are awaiting for confirmation if they have disabled for good we will remove from product)

So please disable the feed.

Because you are running 4.5.0 you are also hitting SOLNESS-10813, so even after you disable the download, we have an issue.
To fix this delete:
$SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/configuration_check/confcheck_failed_threat_download

And you should be all fixed up. SOLNESS-10813 was fixed in 4.5.1

Okie

View solution in original post

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great, so for this one. I filed:
SOLNESS-11180
[PUBLIC] [CUSTOMER] Threat Intelligence: emerging_threats_compromised_ip_blocklist is no longer available for download
It seems the vendor has quit publishing this list. (We are awaiting for confirmation if they have disabled for good we will remove from product)

So please disable the feed.

Because you are running 4.5.0 you are also hitting SOLNESS-10813, so even after you disable the download, we have an issue.
To fix this delete:
$SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/configuration_check/confcheck_failed_threat_download

And you should be all fixed up. SOLNESS-10813 was fixed in 4.5.1

Okie

scottrunyon
Contributor

I removed the file and so far I am no longer getting the messages.

Thank you for the help.

0 Karma

splunker288
Explorer

I also deleted the file and can validate the messages have stopped. Also they seem to have the feed working again.

0 Karma

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great news all, sorry for the confusion!

0 Karma

splunker288
Explorer

I'm having the same issue. I can't get these alerts to stop even after the threat feed is working again.

0 Karma

jwelch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Show me your exact errors, and I will tell you how to fix them.

E.G. is it a TAXII feed Error or is it alexa/comprimisedip

And what version are you running.

Okie

0 Karma

scottrunyon
Contributor

I am receiving the following message -

msg="A threat intelligence download has failed" stanza="emerging_threats_compromised_ip_blocklist" status="threat list download failed after multiple retries"

ES version is 4.5.0

0 Karma

splunker288
Explorer

I'm seeing the exact same error and also running 4.5.0.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...