Splunk Enterprise Security

How do I configure ESS to report on Splunk authentication messages

hazekamp
Builder

I noticed that "splunk" authentication does not show up in the Access Center or the Access Search views. What gives?

1 Solution

hazekamp
Builder

Splunk authentication messages live in the _audit index and are not searched on by default. To enable reporting of Splunk authentication to Access Protection views such as the Access Center do the following:

1. Place the following in, or add to: $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA-splunk/local/eventtypes.conf

[splunk_access]    
    search = "action=login attempt" NOT "action=search"

2. Place the following in, or add to: $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA-splunk/local/tags.conf

[eventtype=splunk_access]
    authentication = enabled
  3. Add index _audit to default search indexes on a per role basis

To enable Splunk authentication for admins and scheduled search:

Manager>>Access controls>>Roles>>admin>>Indexes searched by default>>Add>>_audit

To enable Splunk authentication for users (Warning: This gives the user role capability to search _audit index):

Manager>>Access controls>>Roles>>user>>Indexes searched by default>>Add>>_audit
    Manager>>Access controls>>Roles>>user>>Indexes>>Add>>_audit
  4. To verify these steps you can perform the following search: "tag=authentication app=splunk"

View solution in original post

hazekamp
Builder

Splunk authentication messages live in the _audit index and are not searched on by default. To enable reporting of Splunk authentication to Access Protection views such as the Access Center do the following:

1. Place the following in, or add to: $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA-splunk/local/eventtypes.conf

[splunk_access]    
    search = "action=login attempt" NOT "action=search"

2. Place the following in, or add to: $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA-splunk/local/tags.conf

[eventtype=splunk_access]
    authentication = enabled
  3. Add index _audit to default search indexes on a per role basis

To enable Splunk authentication for admins and scheduled search:

Manager>>Access controls>>Roles>>admin>>Indexes searched by default>>Add>>_audit

To enable Splunk authentication for users (Warning: This gives the user role capability to search _audit index):

Manager>>Access controls>>Roles>>user>>Indexes searched by default>>Add>>_audit
    Manager>>Access controls>>Roles>>user>>Indexes>>Add>>_audit
  4. To verify these steps you can perform the following search: "tag=authentication app=splunk"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...