Splunk Enterprise Security

How do I Add a cidr filter to the existing correlation rule?

Treize
Engager

Hi, I am a beginner.
I have a correlation rule that :
- searches for IP addresses that are port scans
- search in the lookup table, if each IP address is not listed
- if an IP address is not in the lookup table: make an alert in ES
- add this IP in the lookup table (to avoid duplicates)

I have two lookup tables :
- scan_port.csv
- network_provider.csv

Now I would like to filter the IP addresses by a lookup table (a list of cidr ranges : "network_provider.csv").
If possible, this filter would be first in this correlation rule, to avoid adding a filtered IP in the lookup table "scan_port.csv".

The priority is to:
- Find the port scan of the IPs
- Filter IPs (by the lookup table "network_provider")
- Check for duplicates (by the lookup table "scan_port")
- Make an alert
- Add the IP in the search table (port scan)

As I said, I have a correlation rule for port scans that has been working for years.
I would like to add the filter by cidr range. I have the command (cidrmatch) that works for the filter.
But I can't get it to work, between the port scan lookup and the two lookup tables, I can't find a solution.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Treize - You can have something like this:

<your-query>
| search NOT [| inputlookup network_provider.csv | table network_ip_range | rename network_ip_range as src_ip]  --> Filter IPs (by the lookup table "network_provider")
| search NOT [| inputlookup scan_port.csv | table src_ip]  --> Check for duplicates (by the lookup table "scan_port")
| appendpipe [| table src_ip | outputlookup append=true scan_port.csv]  --> Add the IP in the search table (port scan)

--> You will have rest of the results left here and ES will generate alert for it according to correlation search rules

Assumptions: (Make changes to query accordingly)

* IP field in your data and scan_port.csv lookup is src_ip

* IP range field in your network_provider.csv lookup is network_ip_range.

I hope this helps!!! Karma/upvote would be appreciated!!!

View solution in original post

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Treize - You can have something like this:

<your-query>
| search NOT [| inputlookup network_provider.csv | table network_ip_range | rename network_ip_range as src_ip]  --> Filter IPs (by the lookup table "network_provider")
| search NOT [| inputlookup scan_port.csv | table src_ip]  --> Check for duplicates (by the lookup table "scan_port")
| appendpipe [| table src_ip | outputlookup append=true scan_port.csv]  --> Add the IP in the search table (port scan)

--> You will have rest of the results left here and ES will generate alert for it according to correlation search rules

Assumptions: (Make changes to query accordingly)

* IP field in your data and scan_port.csv lookup is src_ip

* IP range field in your network_provider.csv lookup is network_ip_range.

I hope this helps!!! Karma/upvote would be appreciated!!!

Treize
Engager

@VatsalJagani 

Incredible! You are amazing 😃
I've been searching for 4 days. I am really newbie to this...

Thank you very much, besides solving my problem you just taught me a new way to use SPL, I have to redo my logic.

Thanks again.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Treize - Yeah. It's called Sub-search. (search within search - anything between [] square brackets)

* It has many use-cases. This is one of that (is to use it to update search query, if you open the job-inspector you will see the generated search query after the replacement of results of the sub-search.

* Useful with other commands like, append, join, etc.

* Use it wisely because to keep performance intact sub-searches are subject to many limits, like max time to run, max results (50k by default), etc.

* Usually for me your use-case is perfect to describe how/where to use the sub-searches.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...