Splunk Enterprise Security

Getting error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line after activating enableSplunkdSSL in server.conf

BernardEAI
Communicator

I have loaded a SSL Certificate on our development server (Splunk 8.1.4). I added the following to the server.conf file (based on the Splunk docs on what to add to the web.conf file):

[sslConfig]
enableSplunkdSSL = 1
privKeyPath = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/mycerts/splunk.key
serverCert = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/mycerts/splunk.pem

After restarting Splunk, I found a problem with the kvstors, and after investigating I found that mongod did not restart (running ./splunk _internal call /services/server/info |grep -i kvstore returned <s:key name="kvStoreStatus">failed</s:key>)

Running this search in Splunk:

index=_internal sourcetype=mongod

returns this error:

[main] cannot read certificate file: /opt/splunk/etc/auth/mycerts/splunk.key error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line

I cannot determine why this error is being generated.
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BernardEAI 

privKeyPath  do not exist in server conf, its for web conf.  Following settings would suffice in most of the cases.

[sslConfig]

sslPassword (Optional required if server cert, key encrypted)

serverCert  (you can combine key, server cert ... first key file followed by server cert.. save them into single .pem)

sslRootCAPath (Optional)

---

An upvote would be appreciated if this reply helps!

View solution in original post

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BernardEAI 

privKeyPath  do not exist in server conf, its for web conf.  Following settings would suffice in most of the cases.

[sslConfig]

sslPassword (Optional required if server cert, key encrypted)

serverCert  (you can combine key, server cert ... first key file followed by server cert.. save them into single .pem)

sslRootCAPath (Optional)

---

An upvote would be appreciated if this reply helps!

Hiattech
Engager

Is this still the case with 9.1.2? I'm getting the same error though I don't have privKeyPath listed in the server.conf file. My pem does have a password/key when I created it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...