Splunk Enterprise Security

Getting error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line after activating enableSplunkdSSL in server.conf

BernardEAI
Communicator

I have loaded a SSL Certificate on our development server (Splunk 8.1.4). I added the following to the server.conf file (based on the Splunk docs on what to add to the web.conf file):

[sslConfig]
enableSplunkdSSL = 1
privKeyPath = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/mycerts/splunk.key
serverCert = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/mycerts/splunk.pem

After restarting Splunk, I found a problem with the kvstors, and after investigating I found that mongod did not restart (running ./splunk _internal call /services/server/info |grep -i kvstore returned <s:key name="kvStoreStatus">failed</s:key>)

Running this search in Splunk:

index=_internal sourcetype=mongod

returns this error:

[main] cannot read certificate file: /opt/splunk/etc/auth/mycerts/splunk.key error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line

I cannot determine why this error is being generated.
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BernardEAI 

privKeyPath  do not exist in server conf, its for web conf.  Following settings would suffice in most of the cases.

[sslConfig]

sslPassword (Optional required if server cert, key encrypted)

serverCert  (you can combine key, server cert ... first key file followed by server cert.. save them into single .pem)

sslRootCAPath (Optional)

---

An upvote would be appreciated if this reply helps!

View solution in original post

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BernardEAI 

privKeyPath  do not exist in server conf, its for web conf.  Following settings would suffice in most of the cases.

[sslConfig]

sslPassword (Optional required if server cert, key encrypted)

serverCert  (you can combine key, server cert ... first key file followed by server cert.. save them into single .pem)

sslRootCAPath (Optional)

---

An upvote would be appreciated if this reply helps!

Hiattech
Observer

Is this still the case with 9.1.2? I'm getting the same error though I don't have privKeyPath listed in the server.conf file. My pem does have a password/key when I created it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...