Splunk Enterprise Security

Forward syslogs with correct sourcetypes

anchalsingh
Explorer

I have logs coming from different sources like juniper IDS, cisco firewall, bluecoat proxy, nessus etc. Currently I have sample logs from these sources and these are present on my local system. I want to forward/upload these logs to Splunk Enterprise Security and check different dashboards.

I have read in Splunk documentations that the logs must be having correct sourcetypes so that splunk can properly index it and perform efficient search. The problem which I am facing is how to forward these logs to Splunk with correct sourcetypes so that these are processed by Enterprise Security.

I have already tried following things

1. Edited the inputs.conf file. But the challenge is to determine the source type for each inputs.
  2. Forwarded the logs to TCP/UDP port 514. But again the problem is to determine the source types.

My question is

1. How to forward/upload the logs from different sources to Splunk along with the correct source types so that it is detected by various apps like Splunk Enterprise Security?
  2. Can Splunk automatically identifies the sourcetypes on seeing the logs?
  3. What considerations should be taken while forwarding logs for analysis using Splunk Enterprise Security?
0 Karma

adayton20
Contributor

Edit to address your questions:

1.) Use a syslog server to collect the logs via TCP/UDP 514

One solution you could explore is configuring rules in your syslog.conf file to sort the logs into their own directories based on host name or IP. From here, you could create a stanza for each source in your inputs.conf file to monitor each directory and forward the logs to their respective sourcetypes.

For example, here are a few lines from my rsyslog.conf file:

## Juniper firewall
if $fromhost-ip startswith 'x.x.x.x' then /var/log/JuniperFirewall

& ~

##Network appliances
if $hostname contains 'myhostname' or $hostname contains 'anotherhostname' or $hostname contains 'anotherhostname' then /var/log/network

& ~

## Log Bluecoat stuff
if $fromhost-ip startswith 'x.x.x.x' then /var/log/bluecoat
& ~

And some of the corresponding entries in my inputs.conf file:

[monitor:///var/log/JuniperFirewall]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
no_priority_stripping = true
index = syslog
sourcetype = juniper

[monitor:///var/log/bluecoat]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
no_priority_stripping = true
index = syslog
sourcetype = bluecoatProxy

2.) Yes, Splunk will automatically identify sourcetypes but you should assign your own as sometimes the sourcetype Splunk assigns isn't always ideal

3.) There is some great information on best practices and considerations for Splunk ES, and data inputs in general, here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/4.6.0/Install/InstallEnterpriseSecurity
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/4.6.0/Install/Planyourdatainputs

While I hope someone else chimes in on this subject, from my own experience, some of the considerations and challenges I faced with surrounding Splunk enterprise security so far are:

• Tuning the appliances and log sources appropriately. Filtering out unneeded or noisy events will greatly help utilize all the neat features Splunk ES has and reduce the amount of alerts/results generated.

• Following a common information model (CIM) to standardize your fields

anchalsingh
Explorer

@adayton20 I am also facing the same challenges with Splunk ES. Facing issues while deciding the sourcetypes because Splunk ES dashboard does not show the results if incorrect source types are set.

0 Karma

adayton20
Contributor

Most sourcetype names are arbitrary and can be changed, so you could always go in and modify the searches and/or configuration files to meet the needs of your environment. To my knowledge, ES does not REQUIRE any particular naming convention for sourcetypes. You can go in an change or add more sourcetypes to searches. If you need help with this shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...