Splunk Enterprise Security

ES Correlation Search index configuration

jg91
Path Finder

Hello friends,

We have Splunk ES and we stored our data in different indexes (OS logs, Network logs, ...)

I have a question about correlation searches. Some correlation searches didn't use Data Models and just used simple search commands, how I can change these correlation rules to use our indexes? at first,  is it needed to change anything?

My second question is which permission or user will ES use to run Correlation Searches? I mean I have to grant access to our indexes to which Roles/Users?

thanks.

Tags (2)

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

Q - Some correlation searches didn't use Data Models and just used simple search commands, how I can change these correlation rules to use our indexes? 

A - please find out the correlation search and then you can edit/update it. 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.3.0/Admin/Listcorrelationsearches

this is the list of correlation searches available from ES. 

Q - at first,  is it needed to change anything?

A - depends... many times advanced splunk admins want to edit the correlation searches, so they find out and edit them. but, also, most of the cases, default things works perfectly as well. so it all depends on your requirements. 

Q - My second question is which permission or user will ES use to run Correlation Searches? I mean I have to grant access to our indexes to which Roles/Users? 

A -  i am not sure, but as per my understanding (of base Splunk product), to edit/update a correlation search, there will be no needed of role/access/ issues. 

but, it seems Splunk ES provides a role "ess_analyst" which can be used to manage correlation searches. 

you can try to find the correction search and try to see if you got edit option. if you dont have, then, probably you will need this role. 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.2.0/Install/ConfigureUsersRoles

(i have got the 100 karma givers badge, how many karma points you have given!?!?)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...