Splunk Enterprise Security

Does an IOC get removed from ip_intel if you remove it from the local lookup

cybersecrav

Hi all,

So I followed the guide here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/4.5.1/User/Configureblocklists in order to upload a custom csv file with some IOCs in it, and created a new intelligence download referring to the lookup, with 'lookup://lookup_name'.

My assumption was that this lookup is dynamic so when you remove an IOC from the original lookup, this gets reflected in the ip_intel and other collections as well once the threat searches are run. I tried this and the IOC still exists in the collection and threat searches still run against it. When I add an IOC to the lookup, this gets added to ip_intel as well so that's working as expected.

Am I wrong in thinking that IOCs get removed from ip_intel and other collections when you remove an IOC from the original lookup? Is the only way to remove an IOC to re-write the ip_intel without the said IOC using 'outputlookup'?

Thanks for all your help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...