Splunk Enterprise Security

Does an IOC get removed from ip_intel if you remove it from the local lookup

cybersecrav

Hi all,

So I followed the guide here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/4.5.1/User/Configureblocklists in order to upload a custom csv file with some IOCs in it, and created a new intelligence download referring to the lookup, with 'lookup://lookup_name'.

My assumption was that this lookup is dynamic so when you remove an IOC from the original lookup, this gets reflected in the ip_intel and other collections as well once the threat searches are run. I tried this and the IOC still exists in the collection and threat searches still run against it. When I add an IOC to the lookup, this gets added to ip_intel as well so that's working as expected.

Am I wrong in thinking that IOCs get removed from ip_intel and other collections when you remove an IOC from the original lookup? Is the only way to remove an IOC to re-write the ip_intel without the said IOC using 'outputlookup'?

Thanks for all your help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...