Splunk Enterprise Security

Does Splunk ES need the add-on and app or just the add-on?

mikefg
Communicator

Working on a new ES install. Does the ES search head need the app and add-on for each technology or just the add-on? Does it matter if the app and add-on are both installed?

0 Karma
1 Solution

lkutch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

... so you would have to download the ones that you need from Splunkbase instead. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ES doesn't exist without the app so it must be installed.  As part of the installation process, you will be asked to choose the add-ons you need.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

mikefg
Communicator

I understand that the ES app itself is needed, my question is about the rest of the technologies; firewalls, etc. As I understand it I only need to install the add-on for these on the ES search head and not the app, unless I want to use the app on the ES search head, correct?

I went through the install and I don't remember a step asking me about choosing add-ons. Fresh install of ES 6.4.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Correct.  You only need the TAs and not the apps.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

lkutch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

lkutch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

... so you would have to download the ones that you need from Splunkbase instead. 

0 Karma

mikefg
Communicator

Gotcha, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...