Splunk Enterprise Security

Custom Alerts in SPLUNK Enterprise

willadams
Contributor

We have recently installed Enterprise Security and have enabled a few use cases. This was done with the guidance of SPLUNK Professional Services and for the most part the use cases, when they trigger, work (albeit with some tweaking). I am still very new to the world of data models and am still learning. What I would like to know is if I add in my own searches that don't use data models is this bad practise? For example most of the searches in ES are normal "|from datamodel "blah"". I want to put my searches based on a search, for arguments sake, the search is

"index=main sourcetype="sysmon" eventcode=4625 | where count > 50

The frequency of this search would be say every 20 minutes. If the count is >50 then the alert would trigger. I would then create this search under the "custom" app we have in the ES correlated searches to run.

0 Karma

jawaharas
Motivator

You can create your correlation rule without using datamodel.

Although, it's recommended to use accelerated datamodel for the alerts that scheduled to run at frequent interval for better performance.

References:
Configure data models for Splunk Enterprise Security
Data models used by ES

0 Karma

jawaharas
Motivator

@willadams
If my answer helped you, please accept and/or upvote it!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...