Splunk Enterprise Security

Correlation search - Stream events

Crashfry
Path Finder

I'll start with the goal of what I am trying to accomplish first. I'd like to be able to detect any source sending data out in the middle of the night (example 11 PM to 6 AM) by means of FTP ( Ports 20,21,69) with a specific amount of data ( x mbs or y bytes ) using our Stream data. I'm not really sure how to build a correlation search to accomplish that but in that, I have a search I've built for a dashboard to attempt to track this which I'll copy below but more so looking to be able to use Enterprise Security to accomplish it.

index=stream_netflow sourcetype="stream:netflow" dest_port=69 OR dest_port=20 OR dest_port=21
| eval totalbytes=(bytes_out)
| eval total_mb=(totalbytes/1024/1024)
| eval total_mb=round(total_mb,2)
| stats sum(total_mb) as "Total MB", count(_raw) as "Event Count" by src_ip, src_port, dest_ip, dest_port
| sort -"Total MB" limit=15

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

lakshman239
Influencer

You can directly use your search and convert to co-relation search. The below will create a notable only when Total MB is greater than 100. You can change as per your need. You can create using guided mode or directly add the search in the cor.search [ https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.3.0/Tutorials/GuidedCorrelationSearch]. You can then setup throttling to not alert for same host or port etc. for next 1 day or so.

index=stream_netflow sourcetype="stream:netflow" dest_port=69 OR dest_port=20 OR dest_port=21
| stats sum(total_mb) as "Total MB", count(_raw) as "Event Count" by src_ip, src_port, dest_ip, dest_port 
| where  "Total MB" > 100

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

You can directly use your search and convert to co-relation search. The below will create a notable only when Total MB is greater than 100. You can change as per your need. You can create using guided mode or directly add the search in the cor.search [ https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.3.0/Tutorials/GuidedCorrelationSearch]. You can then setup throttling to not alert for same host or port etc. for next 1 day or so.

| where  "Total MB" > 100
0 Karma

Crashfry
Path Finder

Just had to rearrange the search to make it work - the where clause had to be above the stats clause. Now it works - thanks for the help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...