Splunk Enterprise Security

Correlation search - Stream events

Crashfry
Path Finder

I'll start with the goal of what I am trying to accomplish first. I'd like to be able to detect any source sending data out in the middle of the night (example 11 PM to 6 AM) by means of FTP ( Ports 20,21,69) with a specific amount of data ( x mbs or y bytes ) using our Stream data. I'm not really sure how to build a correlation search to accomplish that but in that, I have a search I've built for a dashboard to attempt to track this which I'll copy below but more so looking to be able to use Enterprise Security to accomplish it.

index=stream_netflow sourcetype="stream:netflow" dest_port=69 OR dest_port=20 OR dest_port=21
| eval totalbytes=(bytes_out)
| eval total_mb=(totalbytes/1024/1024)
| eval total_mb=round(total_mb,2)
| stats sum(total_mb) as "Total MB", count(_raw) as "Event Count" by src_ip, src_port, dest_ip, dest_port
| sort -"Total MB" limit=15

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can directly use your search and convert to co-relation search. The below will create a notable only when Total MB is greater than 100. You can change as per your need. You can create using guided mode or directly add the search in the cor.search [ https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.3.0/Tutorials/GuidedCorrelationSearch]. You can then setup throttling to not alert for same host or port etc. for next 1 day or so.

index=stream_netflow sourcetype="stream:netflow" dest_port=69 OR dest_port=20 OR dest_port=21
| stats sum(total_mb) as "Total MB", count(_raw) as "Event Count" by src_ip, src_port, dest_ip, dest_port 
| where  "Total MB" > 100

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can directly use your search and convert to co-relation search. The below will create a notable only when Total MB is greater than 100. You can change as per your need. You can create using guided mode or directly add the search in the cor.search [ https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.3.0/Tutorials/GuidedCorrelationSearch]. You can then setup throttling to not alert for same host or port etc. for next 1 day or so.

| where  "Total MB" > 100
0 Karma

Crashfry
Path Finder

Just had to rearrange the search to make it work - the where clause had to be above the stats clause. Now it works - thanks for the help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...